Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Thought Part Deux

You know, I was just at a buddy's house in downtown. And I heard approximately 7 gunshots. Most would laugh. But I don't.

Maybe I would have before.

Maybe it would have been the perfect setup for a silly joke about my city, Miami, and how corrupt everything is.

Maybe it would have been an ignorant, yet humorous, comment about the times, the area, the oblivious, reckless disparity that sometimes overcome human beings.

But you know what? Having a gun just feet---inches---from a dear friend, and your own head, should not be the catalyst for waking the fuck up.

This city... this world... is not safe. Wake the fuck up and realize that there are some people that will never touch a computer, never feel air conditioning, never know anything but poverty, and a small percentage will get so desperate that they will do anything to feel some of our comfort.
And by "our," I mean the people that are privileged enough to touch, let alone own, a computer, a cell phone, a home...

And by no means am I preaching about being overly neurotic about one's own safety or situations, and some people on the streets aren't malicious or ill-intended. However, it shouldn't take a gun to the head for everyone to realize this world and the reality of many people's situation. People don't necessarily mean to cause harm or disturbance, they just get desperate. And want what you have. And at times, it means they will take ruthless, heartless actions to show you how needy they truly are. Don't let yourself be fooled by people, and don't be fucking naive about the world we all live in.

Again, I'm not saying this to lecture anyone. I do not feel above anyone, especially not my friends that read this. All I'm saying is it shouldn't take what I went through to be aware. Don't assume everyone is good. Born good? Tabula rasa? Born evil? Locke? Rousseau's theory of social corruption? Over your head?

Well layman's terms: To avoid a life-threatening situation, and to avoid pity for me or the other person involved, (because in reality, I do not want either) please just have a heads up that sometimes people do truly evil things out of desperation, which can be life-changing for the "victim." Again, this is not to preach, lecture, provoke pity or attention; It is simply to raise awareness that NOBODY is immortal. And bad people do exist in the world, for one reason or another. Just don't take anything or anyone for granted in every way that you'd like to interpret that.

Apologies all around to anyone that is upset or offended by this entry. Just on my mind and this is the true reason I created this blog in the first place-- to spill my fucking guts.

(always) take care. -a

No comments: